COVERT TOWNSHIP BURNING GUIDE
As taken from the Michigan Open Burning Guide. Full details can be found at:
Call the Covert Township Fire Department to obtain a burn permit 269-764-1768
Allowed for burning:
- You must have a burning permit issued to you by the Covert Township Fire Department for any burning not being done in an approved container (burn barrel)
- Grass clippings, leaves, brush, trees, and logs are the ONLY items that may be burned in a pile on the ground.
- Persons from a private dwelling may burn solid waste in an approved container (burn barrel), providing it does not create a smoke or odor nuisance.
- An approved container (burn barrel) is on constructed of metal or masonry WITH a metal covering device with openings no larger than ¾ inch.
NOT ALLOWED TO BE BURNED:
- Commercial or industrial waste may never be burned.
- Structures (such as houses, barns, and sheds) may not be burned for the purpose of demolition.
- Construction and demolition waste may never be burned.
This document is not meant to be all inclusive, but to address the most common issues and errors encountered with the Michigan open burning rules. More details can be found at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq-ess-caap-openburningguide_63367_7.pdf , and free internet access is available at the Covert Township Library.
Any fires, including legal burns, that create a smoke or odor nuisance will need to be extinguished.
***PLEASE NOTE: Regardless of whether you have obtained a burn permit or not, you are legally responsible for ANY fire you start***
For any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to contact the Covert Township Fire Department at 269-764-1768.